Overseas Scholarships for PhD in Selected Fields & MS/M.Phil in Engineering Technology (Phase-III, Batch-3)
Higher Education Commission (HEC) was established in 2002 for improvement and promotion of higher education sector in Pakistan. The mission of the Higher Education Commission (HEC) is "to facilitate institutions of higher education to serve as engine of growth for the socio-economic development of Pakistan". Since the inception of HEC, first priority was to improve the quality of teaching and research in institution through highly qualified faculty.
In order to meet the need of National Human Resource demand as per Pakistan vision of 2025. HEC had arranged a National Human Resource Development Conference on October 13, 2015 at Higher Education Commission. Around 150 academics, scholars, researchers, businessmen and professionals from across Pakistan participated. Total 11 Focus Groups representing academia, industry and R&D were formed in the following areas: Social Sciences, New Higher Education Trends, Physical Sciences, Medical Sciences, Engineering & Technology, Business Education, Development Studies, Economics, Biological Sciences, Arts & Humanities and Agricultural Studies to identify the specific fields and areas of research which are strategically important for the development of Pakistan in coming 10 years keeping in view the China Pakistan Economic Corridor as well.
HEC has been investing major budget in the human resource development to develop PhD faculty for Universities since its inception but due to increase in the DAIs and student population in the higher education sector, overall percentage of PhD VS Non-PhD faculty remains the same. Nevertheless, accessibility, quality, publications, R&D activities and ranking of the universities increased at national and international level. To improve the percentage of PhD VS Non-PhD faculty, continuous development funding / new schemes are required.
- Be a Pakistani/AJK national
- For PhD scholarships, candidates must have a minimum qualification of MS/MPhil/ME or equivalent (18 years) before the closing date ( May 30,2021)
- For MS/M. Phil scholarships in Engineering Technology, Candidates must have a minimum of sixteen years of education and should be Registered with National Technology Council (NTC), Pakistan. ( http://www.ntc-hec.org.pk/ )
- Maximum one-second division throughout the academic career prior to the final degree.
- Candidates must have a minimum CGPA 3.0 out of 4.0 in semester system or first division (in the annual system) in MS/MPhil/ME/Equivalent degree.
- Maximum age on the closing date ( May 30,2021):
- 40 years for full-time regular Faculty Members of Public Sector Universities/Colleges and employees of the Public Sector R & D organizations registered with Pakistan Council for Science & Technology (PCST)
- 35 years for all others
- Must have minimum 70% marks in a valid HEC Aptitude Test (HAT). HEC will consider best HAT score of the last two years for short-listing purpose.
- Must not be availing any other scholarship:
Important Note: The Applicants provisionally or finally selected in any of the HEC scholarships scheme in the past are required to obtain NO Objection Certificate (NOC) from relevant HEC-Scholarship Section before submission of their application.
1) Copy of this NOC must be emailed at [email protected] before closing date of application submission i.e May 30, 2021.
2) Application submitted by any such candidate without obtaining NOC may be rejected at any stage of selection/award process”
Education Testing Council (ETC) Pakistan will conduct HEC Aptitude Test (HAT) on JUNE-2021 (tentatively). For more information, keep in touch with registered email/ HEC Overseas Phase-3 website
Last Date of Receipt of Applications:
Applicants must be submitted online via HEC e-portal (eportal.hec.gov.pk) by , SUNDAY , May 30 , 2021.
Please do not send printed copy of online application form. Only shortlisted applicants will be advised to provide signed printed copy of online application form along with necessary documents
Bank Deposit Slip: Original online deposit slip OR ATM transfer slip of Rs 300/-
(non–refundable) as application processing fee in favour of DG Finance, Fee can be deposited in Account Number 1742-79001334-01, Habib Bank Limited, Shalimar Recording Company Branch, Islamabad Pakistan through any bank.
HEC must be uploaded on HEC e-portal (Online Application Form for Overseas Scholarships Program).
Following outcomes are expected through this program
- 1800 PhD Scholars will be trained in the strategically important fields of knowledge which are identified by the Focus Groups of academia, industry and R&D personnel in the following way:
- These talented students will complete PhD from top notch universities of the world, who will serve Pakistan for the improvement of quality of teaching and research in institutions.
- Linkages at institutional, academia and people to people level will be established and further strengthened.
- Scholarships for PhD will be awarded in two categories i) Attached and ii) Un-attached slots on the basis of information submitted by the applicants at the time of submission of applications.
- To create a critical mass of highly qualified Technologists, and Scientists Manpower in high-tech fields
- To build up the capacity of Universities, Research & Development Organizations and Industries in Pakistan through addition of PhD's in priority fields.
- Considerable intellectual activity is expected to be generated through this scheme as groups of scientists, technologists and social scientist would be engaged in publishing their research work. It is expected that good number of papers/studies could be produced annually. The scheme would provide our system an impetus for an out-put and productivity. Major organizations & universities would be increasing their R&D by absorbing specialized trained manpower. A number of new R&D Projects having economic returns can thus be launched.
- The current scheme would supplement HEC efforts for provision of adequate number of trained PhD manpower, to support technology upgrading, develop high standards of Science & Technology, Humanities and Business education/training in Pakistan and to meet the challenging needs of Pakistan's economy.
Overseas Scholarship Advertisement Batch-3
(SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ONLINE ONLY)
Important Note: Those candidates who wants to apply for MS in Engg & Technlogoy Program , must have registration of National Technology Council (NTC).
Those who don't have registration of NTC must apply online before the closing date of the advertisement for PhD and form MS Program.
Website Link: (http://www.ntc-hec.org.pk / )
Following Recommended format of HAT Test
Subject Based Content
- Applicants are required to submit an online application via HEC e-portal (eportal.hec.gov.pk).
- Original online deposit slip OR ATM transfer slip of Rs 300/- (non–refundable) as application processing fee in favour of DG Finance, HEC must be uploaded on HEC e-portal. Fee can be deposited in Account Number 1742-79001334-01, Habib Bank Limited, Shalimar Recording Company Branch, Islamabad Pakistan through any bank.
Scholarships will be awarded under the following two categories:
Category-1: (Attached/Faculty Development): Around 2/3 scholarships will be awarded under this category for the development of future faculty of Pakistani University. Candidates interested under this category are required to opt identified Pakistani universities of their choice for job interview/placement in the online application form. Shortlisted candidates will have to pass the employment selection process of Pakistani Universities of their choice for further process toward the award of scholarship. On return after successful completion of Ph.D. applicant has to serve in the same University for a period of 5(five) consecutive years.
Category-2: (Unattached/Open Merit): Around 1/3 scholarships will be awarded under this category for the development of human resources in the national priority areas. These applicants will have to serve either in parent organization or other organization preferably in any University/R&D organization of Pakistan, for a period of 5(five) consecutive years.
- Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of Government Approved provincial quota.
- Merit will be drawn on the basis of valid HEC Aptitude test scores separately for both categories.
- Candidates are required to opt foreign countries/universities of their choice in the online application form. HEC reserves the right to re-allocate any Country/University to the candidate. Only shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews and admission process.
- Candidates are required to make sure that their field of the subject is being offered in their choice of Country/University, otherwise, candidate will not be considered for interview/scholarship.
- Candidates are required to fulfill the requirement of Host University to secure the admission which may include International GRE, TOFEL, etc. Candidates are advised to appear in these tests before the interview/admission.
- Applicants are required to fill the information through an online application process. The merit list will be prepared on the basis of online data/information provided by the applicant. In case any information is found to be misrepresented at any stage; the application process will be terminated.
- Awardees will have to execute a bond with HEC/Respective Pakistani University to serve for a period of five years immediately after completion PhD study. Request for change of University for the purpose of service bond will not be entertained at any stage.
- The Applicants provisionally or finally selected in any of the HEC scholarships scheme in the past are required to obtain NO Objection Certificate (NOC) from relevant HEC-Scholarship Section before submission of their application. Copy of this NOC must be emailed at [email protected] before closing date of application submission i.e May 30, 2021.
Visit Scholarship Website