NED entry test lays bare edu boards’ low merit

NED entry test lays bare edu boards’ low merit

NED entry test lays bare edu boards’ low merit

Numerous science students who scored high marks in the intermediate examinations conducted by the education boards in Sindh have failed the entry test of NED University of Engineering and Technology (NED), The Express Tribune has learnt.

This has raised questions about the merit criteria adopted by Sindh's education boards.

Also Read: HEC offers a six-month research fellowship abroad to full-time PhD students

The varsity's admission test was held in the recent days, with students who had passed exams organised by education boards operating under the Sindh government, the Federal Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, Aga Khan University Examination Board and Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE) appearing for entry in the university.

Of these students, the majority were pre-engineering students, while a small fraction comprised pre-medical students.

As per data available with The Express Tribune, these candidates numbered 9,290, of whom 5,029, constituting 54 per cent of the entrants, passed the NED admission test, scoring at least 50 per cent marks each.

Also Read: Shafqat Mehmood visits schools to review implementation of SOPs

Among them were 210 of 802 students - a mere 26 per cent — who had sat the test after clearing intermediate examinations under the Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, Hyderabad (BISEH). The remaining 74 per cent who appeared for the tests after passing exams under the BISEH failed.

Similarly, of 556 applicants who cleared the intermediate examinations under the Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, Sukkur, 18.5 per cent, numbering 103, passed the entry test and 81.5 per cent failed.

Among 656 candidates who passed the intermediate examinations under the Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, Larkana, 18 per cent, adding up to 118 entrants, were successful and 82 per cent failed.

Moreover, of 657 students who had appeared for the intermediate examinations conducted by the Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, Mirpurkhas, 20.8 per cent, numbering 137, qualified for the next stage, while 79.2 per cent failed the admission test.

Also Read: BISE Lahore announces the registration schedule for matric supply exams

On the other hand, the performance of students who cleared intermediate examinations under the Board of Intermediate Education Karachi was significantly better. As many as 70 per cent, or 3,760 entrants out of 5,225 students appearing for the entry test, were successful.

Likewise, of 265 entrants who studied under the federal board, 62.6 per cent, numbering 166, passed the admission test. Of 552 entrants who studied under the CAIE, 78 per cent, numbering 431, passed and of 172 students who studied under the Aga Khan University board, 83.7 per cent, numbering 144, cleared the exam.

The NED is accepting students on 2,653 seats, with 2,097 reserved for those who secure admission on the basis of open merit and 565 for self-financed candidates.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 2nd, 2020.

2021 © Campus Guru. All Rights Reserved.

Do you have a question?
Let's Discuss!

× Click Here