Commonwealth Scholarships for PhD In UK For The Year 2021
Funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), Commonwealth PhD Scholarships allow talented and motivated individuals to gain advanced knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are aimed at those who could not otherwise afford their studies in the UK.
Purpose: To contribute to the development needs of Commonwealth countries by supporting research that will have a developmental impact. These awards will also enhance individual teaching and research capacity leading to increase institutional capacity in academic and other sectors in Commonwealth countries, and will contribute to UK higher education and research by attracting high-calibre international candidates and encouraging links and collaboration.
Intended beneficiaries: High-quality graduates who have the potential to undertake world-class research of a developmental nature and to become influential leaders, teachers, or researchers in their home countries.
Commonwealth Scholarships are for candidates from low and middle income Commonwealth countries, for fulltime Doctoral study (PhD) at a UK University. These scholarships are offered under following six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
Complete details of programs, eligibility and further classification of themes of study offered for Commonwealth scholarships is available at:
Benefits of the programme / FINANCIAL COVERAGE
The Scholarship will cover the following:
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor usually the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed).
- Approved tuition fees.
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,116 per month or £1,369, for those at universities in London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2020-21 levels).
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable.
- Study travel grants towards the cost of study-related travel within UK or Overseas.
- Provision towards the cost of fieldwork undertaken overseas (usually the cost of one economy class return airfare to your fieldwork location) where approved.
- Paid mid-term visit (airfare) to your home country (unless you have claimed or (intend to claim) spouse and/or child allowances during your scholarships, or have received a return airfare to your home country for fieldwork).
- Family allowances as follows:
- If you are accompanied by your spouse but no children: spouse allowance of £240 per month for a maximum period of nine months, if you and your spouse are living together at the same address in the UK (unless your spouse is also in receipt of a scholarship; other conditions also apply)
- If you are accompanied by your spouse and children: spouse allowance of £240 per month and child allowance of £240 per month for the first child, and £118 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if your spouse and children are living with you at the same address in the UK (unless your spouse is also in receipt of a scholarship; other conditions also apply)
- If you are accompanied by your children but no spouse: child allowance of £480 per month for the first child, and £118 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if your children are living with you at the same address in the UK
Duration of the Programme
The duration of the scholarship program is Four years for PhD starting from Fall 2021.
he admission is open under Commonwealth scholarship for year 2021. Basic eligibility requirements are as follow:
To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a Pakistani/AJ&K national & permanent resident of Pakistan/AJ&K. Dual nationals are not eligible.
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2021
- For PhD scholarship, applicant must hold a first class degree in relevant postgraduate qualification (17/18 years Masters/MS/MPhil degree) in the relevant field of study by closing date of applications
- Not have any third division throughout your academic career and maximum of two-second divisions are allowed but candidate must not have second division in the terminal/last degree.
- Must apply under one of the themes as mentioned above and on the CSC website and candidate's field of study must be in line with future development needs of Pakistan.
- NOT be registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a UK university before September/October 2021
- NOT have commenced and be currently registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, in your home country or elsewhere
- Have the support of a potential supervisor from at least one UK university listed in your application form
- Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
- Two references submitted online to UK application system.
You are advised to complete and submit your application as soon as possible, as the online application system will be very busy in the days leading up to the application deadline
Applicants are MANDATORILY required to submit only online applications at the Commonwealth and HEC website. Incase applicant fails to submit online application forms on BOTH websites mentioned at Step (1) & Step (2), their application will not be considered for further processing.
Step- 1 (Commonwealth Online Application)
- Apply online to Commonwealth (CW) Scholarship for Doctoral studies (PhD) through their Electronic Application System (EAS) at:
Step - 2 (HEC Online application)
- Apply online at HEC website: http://eportal.hec.gov.pk/loa . After registering and filling your profile, please select "Learning Opportunities Abroad" under "Scholarship and Grant" menu in left hand side panel of the online portal.
- While submitting an application online at HEC website, do attach scan copy of deposit slip of Rs. 400/-(non-refundable) in account of HEC online Account No. 17427900133401 in HBL, Shalimar Recording Company Branch, Sector H-9, Islamabad. All payments are to be made to HEC through HBL online facility. This facility is available in all branches of Habib Bank Ltd (HBL), Pakistan.
Visit Scholarship Website